Fiona Glenanne is a fictional character (portrayed by Gabrielle Anwar) in the television series Burn Notice. She was affiliated with the IRA for 14 years, but ran afoul of her old organization because she didn't like being told what to do. She has since gone out on her own, picking up odd jobs and using her skills in explosives, lock picking, tracking, weapons, and hand-to-hand combat to make a living. Fiona picked up Michael Westen in Miami, and has since helped him numerous times in his various jobs. Fiona and Michael had a past relationship, which Michael ended, apparently due to a fear of commitment. Since she has met up with Michael again, Fiona has continued to pressure Michael into a relationship.
While The Saint's girlfriend, Patricia Holm has a very different background, there is something about the interaction between Fiona Glenanne and Michael Westen that is reminiscent of The Saint's relationship with Pat. It has been written that Leslie Charteris wrote Patricia to portray his ideal of the perfect male/female relationship, and while that aspect isn't quite as apparent, there are similarities:
All in all, if there is to be a Patricia Holm in the forthcoming TV series of The Saint, it would be great if the dialog was as sharp as the writing on Burn Notice!
- Both Pat and Fiona are strong women who are equal to the tasks that face their male counterparts.
- Simon Templar and Michael Westen avoid commitment due to job dangers.
- The dialog between the two has affection, humor, and intelligence.
- Both Simon and Michael trust their girlfriends to do even the most dangerous jobs without hesitation.
- Watch the interaction between the two on Burn Notice; it compares favorably to how Simon Templar and Patricia Holm might act together in this current day and age.